Image by Hannah Busing

Merton

Feb 5th

JAMIESON

Mar 5th

MERRIJIG

Apr 2nd

TOLMIE

Apr 9th

our

Halls

This year's inaugural High Country Halls Music Festival brings you homegrown talent at four very special venues in the Victorian townships of Merrijig, Merton, Jamieson and Tolmie.

HCH-WavyStrip3.png

MERRIJIG PUBLIC HALL

1 Alpha St, Merrijig VIC 3723

 

This beautiful and historic country hall is the centre of community life in the township of Merrijig.

MerrijijgHall.jpeg

Merrijig is located nearly halfway between Mansfield and Mount Buller in the scenic Great Dividing Range - the set location for the renowned 'Man From Snowy River' film. It's Giddy-Up country with loads of trail riding options and the annual Merrijig Rodeo. Kick back at the Huntclub Hotel or indulge in a tasting at the new Gin & Whiskey Bar!

The Delatite River passes through the town centre and there are a number of scenic picnic areas along the river on its route between Mount Buller and Lake Eildon.

 

The Merrijig Public Hall was built in the 1930's by the Mountain Cattleman & their families as a place to socialise. It remains a place to gather for the locals with private & community functions & local school activities.

This historic hall has a commercial kitchen, modern wheelchair-accessible bathrooms and can accommodate up to 100 people.

 

It is also a registered Safer Neighbourhood place in the event of bush fires & is used as a base for Search & Rescue in the area.

HCH-WavyStrip3.png

MERTON MEMORIAL HALL

17 Shaws Rd, Merton VIC 3715

 

Merton is a farming community, located 10mins west of the 'serenity' of Bonnie Doon, with the landmark servo possibly making a fleeting appearance in the great Aussie drama - The Castle - as the Corrigan family sped by!

 

It's claimed Bushranger Ned Kelly had a beer and gunfight at the now deceased pub, and the local horse racing track dates back to 1865 with the New Years Day meet still going strong.

The hall has recently been lovingly refurbished and redecorated and everyone is rapt with the outcome - offering all the latest facilities for over 100 guests including a new commercial kitchen and wheelchair accessibility.  There's a sunny deck out front and a covered rear verandah - you could almost move in!

The Hall is a social magnet and has been the home of Merton Balls, birthday parties, weddings, music festivals and celebrations for most of the last century.

Merton Memorial Hall is a gracious old country hall, originally a Mechanics Institute, opened in 1923. It's name was changed in 1945 after the war.

86319461_2949843978401510_6426364212712308736_n_edited.jpg
HCH-WavyStrip3.png

JAMIESON MEMORIAL HALL

15 Perkins St, Jamieson VIC 3723

 

The Jamieson Memorial Hall was opened in 1883 and the building was used as the Town Hall and Howqua Shire Offices until amalgamation with Mansfield in 1919. The building was then given to the people of Jamieson as a memorial to those who fought in World War One.

Jamieson Memorial Hall (Small) (2).jpeg

Nestled deep in the mountains beside the Jamieson and Goulburn rivers, this beautiful, laid back leafy town is rich with history and natural beauty. 

Wander through Jamieson's historic streets and you’ll find traces of the bustling hub that the town once was during the goldrush days of the 1860's.

Enjoy a summer picnic on the riverbank under a shady tree, spend a quiet afternoon fishing or just relax and take in the surrounds. The Goulburn and Jamieson Rivers offer some of the finest fly fishing in Australia, complete with gorgeous scenery and unspoilt banks.

Come autumn, the town is ablaze with colour as the tree lined streets turn gold, copper and bronze - warm up with a coffee and treat in front of the fire at the Jamieson General Store or head over to the local brewery for a cold one.

The Memorial Hall is a community hub and meeting place, host to annual events and celebrations.

HCH-WavyStrip3.png

TOLMIE HALL

13 Tolmie-Mahaikah Rd, Tolmie VIC 3723

 

Originally the town of Wombat in the 1880's, the Tolmie area was known for an outlaw element courtesy of the Kelly gang and bushranger antics. Renamed, it grew into a thriving centre.

 

While the heyday came and went, Tolmie has settled back into a small, but close knit community enjoying a clean cool climate and relaxed lifestyle. Visitors are attracted to the peace and tranquillity with wonderful camping facilities including stables & yards, access to 4WD tracks, trail riding and the King Valley winery region only 20mins away. The iconic sports day is also not to be missed!

The Tolmie Hall was first built in 1920 and was opened with a dance on July 2nd 1920 - Admission was five shillings for gentlemen, while ladies were free! Improvements occurred over the years and then a major renovation adding the verandah and deck and other upgrades was completed in 2008.

 

 The hall provides seating capacity for up to 100 with excellent amenities and disabled access. It is used regularly by the community for meetings, line dancing and special gatherings including the annual bush dance. It is an extremely popular venue for celebrations and makes a perfect wedding venue, positioned adjacent to the recently renovated Uniting Church.

The Tolmie Hall / Mechanics Institute is located amongst the eucalypt parklands at the Tolmie Recreation Reserce and plays an integral part in the thriving community.

Tolmie_Hall_Hero_Image.jpg